On December 16, 1939 a groundbreaking ceremony was held at the new Woodbine Airport site. The project to be completed using $68,000 in funds and employing 177 local men for a year, was the largest project in the county at that time.
With construction not yet completed, Woodbine's mayor offered the facilities to the US Air Corps. The offer was refused, until the US entered into the Second World War and the US Navy set up operations at Woodbine Airport.
While still technically leased by the United States Navy, the Woodbine Airport became the site of the State's largest airshow in August of 1946. The director of the airshow was Sherwood Cole an parachute exhibitionist.
In 1945, following World War II, the US Navy retained its lease of the Woodbine Airport although it allowed for public use. In 1947 the US Navy turned the Woodbine Airport over to the Borough. Along with gaining back the airport, the Borough also acquired $400,000 worth of buildings and improvements completed by the Federal Government during the war.
Woodbine Borough voted to allow the National Guard to use Woodbine Airport for training.
The E.W. Bliss company signed a 5 year lease to utilize the Woodbine Airport as a test site for their overrun barriers and aircraft arresting gear, as well as other projects. The E.W. Bliss Company had 12 plants in the US and was the leasing supplier of steam powered catapults to the Navy.
Best known for torpedo development, the E.W. Bliss Company conducted experimental testing on a barrier designed to stop aircraft from overrunning a runway and also on a steam catapult designed for land use. The company maintained a test facility at the Woodbine NJ airfield where they installed the largest steam launch catapult of its time .
Woodbine Municipal Airport became a busy local airport with airplane dealerships, hangar space and light industrial manufacturing.